Today America has over 29.000 private schools. Due to there is no a definite unified standard of secondary education, all the programs and pedagogical methods same as the level of teachers’ experience may differ in every single school.
Moreover, there is a huge difference in material and technical equipment. These nuances make the choice of the school rather challenging, especially for those, who intend to study in the USA from another country.
The system of secondary education includes three stage-structures: elementary, middle and high schools. The particularly high school is considered to be the most influential. It is a period when students make a decision about what kind of future they would like to have. Therefore, Americans consider the choice of high school more important.
For this purpose, every year there are online lists of the best schools to choose for your children.
Schools in the USA divided into types, for example, schools for disabled people, colleges, boarding schools, high schools and private schools. The ranking of the schools depends on the data from the educational department and directly from colleges or schools.
We can distinguish such factors as:
- general academic level;
- the existence of educational programs;
- the cost of education and financial assistance to students;
- students’ average score of students;
- types of equipment in the classes;
- the academic level of the teachers’ staff;
- accommodations on the campus;
- cultural diversity.
5 top schools in the USA
- Phillips Academy. The private school is located in Andover, Massachusetts. Phillips Exeter Academy is also in the list of the best schools. The Academy provides trimester program and term lasts about ten weeks. Andover prepares students for the further education in Yale University. Courses consist of English, history, math, science (social and laboratory), philosophy, religion. Academy holds eight academic facilities which were built for each course. There are also four student facilities for group meetings, locker area, and dining. Students attend local school’s museum which represents collections of drawings, photography and the newest exhibitions.
- Lakeside School is an independent school in Seattle, Washington. The school includes 5-12 grades and about 776 students. The most outstanding feature of the school is its Global Service Learning Program. The program aims to broaden student’s view and knowledge of the world, particularly helping impecunious people from different countries. Lakeside enriches students’ lives with a well-functioning clubs as Imago, Chess team or Cappella group. There are programs for athletes in golf, soccer, basketball, baseball, swimming.
- Harvard-Westlake School in Los Angeles, California educates over 2000 students. School obtains 7-12 grades. From the time of school’s foundation, it was divided into school for males and females. Boy’s school became a military academy while another included a secondary school. Today institution has middle and upper schools. For the last few years, more than100 students received N.M. recognition. The school is also known for its brilliant athletic achievements. The athletic facilities contain two big gymnasiums, the 50-meter pool and two fields for r football, soccer, and even hockey.
- The Harker School is based in San Jose, California. It includes upper, middle and lower schools. The Harker has four campuses for each school. There are programs in performing arts, athletics, journalism and speech & debate. In the middle school students are obliged to take the art class or take part in at least one event. The elementary school is also full of activities, especially orchestra.
- Latin School of Chicago located in Chicago, Illinois. This oldest school in the whole town provides students strict preparation for a college, where Greek and Latin languages are still in use. Education bears down on fundamental study of English, history, foreign languages, science. A lot of classes used to have experiential learning. The school includes over 20 sports teams, about 40 clubs and opportunities for promotion in arts. The campus’ buildings include the old one house, a structure with the garden on the roof and a building that was built by the architect of international level.
There is no clear rank which can explain why some American school is the best. The only obvious thing is that attending one of these 5 top schools guarantees a solid level of education. Read also about Top UK Universities 2017 on our blog.